But officials also said they were not accepting requests from individuals who have never been granted deferred action under DACA.
Saying the decision to kill it was improper, Judge William Alsup of Federal District Court in San Francisco wrote that the administration must “maintain the DACA program on a nationwide basis” as the legal challenge to the president’s decision goes forward.
President Barack Obama created the DACA program in 2012 to give young immigrants the ability to work legally in the United States. In attempting to end it in September, President Trump argued that Mr. Obama’s actions were unconstitutional and an overreach of executive power.
Since then, a fierce debate has taken hold in Washington as Democrats and Republicans spar about how to provide relief for about 800,000 immigrants who could face deportation if the program ends. Mr. Trump met with lawmakers on Tuesday afternoon in an hourlong televised meeting to begin negotiations.
Critics of the president’s decision to end the policy sued the administration, saying that shutting down the program was arbitrary and done without following the proper legal procedures.
In his ruling, the judge laid out a road map for the government that officials appeared to follow. He said that previous beneficiaries of DACA, known as Dreamers, must be allowed to renew their status in the program, though the government would not be required to accept new applications from immigrants who had not previously submitted one.